Friday, January 23, 2009

i've quit the bike shuttle.

so, turns out i'm a quitter. i am officially quitting the bike shuttle from here on out. i'm now going to commit to always riding my bike up to campus. quick update for people who that doesn't make sense to:

i work at ucsc in the chemistry department. the ucsc campus is about 5 miles with 800 ft. elevation gain from my house, which makes for a pretty gnarly commute to work for me. i used to be really good about riding everyday, and then i got a cold. i didn't know how to get to work, until someone introduced me to the bike shuttle. since ucsc is on a hill the school has purchased huge bike rack trailers with a 15 bike capacity to haul up biker from the bottom of the hill to the top of campus. they run every 15 minutes all morning long, starting at 7am. they are ULTRA convenient, and drop me off right in front of my building. once i started riding the shuttle i couldn't stop!

however, a lot of the people who ride aren't very thankful for the FREE service. they get pissed off when it's late, they make snarky remarks to the drivers, and they are generally stupid and annoying on a whole. plus, the bike shuttle is like cheating from a commuter perspective. these people play like bike commuters, but they get all the glory of bombing the hill at the end of the day with none of the work. it makes them overprivileged. when service is cancelled they flip out, rather than just getting on their bikes and huffing up the hill. once a driver trying to deal with an asshole rider exclaimed, "well, you could just ride up." it was awesome. the rider did not respond kindly.

when the quarter started i tried to remember when i last rode up. i couldn't. so, i've made the resolution to ride up everyday i'm able, whether it will make me late or not. i've riden up three weeks straight! it feels great and really jumpstarts my day.

ps. the reason i've been proclaiming all of these resolutions on my blog is because i sort of feel like the internet makes my goals published and makes me more accountable. kinda funny because i'm pretty sure only 3 people read this mush. ha.

1 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Boomer said...

"ps. the reason i've been proclaiming all of these resolutions on my blog is because i sort of feel like the internet makes my goals published and makes me more accountable. kinda funny because i'm pretty sure only 3 people read this mush. ha."

Four. I like your blog a lot. You're pretty funny and you've got a point of view. I even linked to you. Keep it up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home