Wednesday, October 04, 2006

the winds of revival are a blowing...

well, i live in portland now, as most of you probably already know. the subject of this post is particularly fitting at this moment in time. context: everyday i walk up and down hawthorne with a funny and completely unreasonable hope that someone will dash out of their shop and decide that they need to hire me. it hasn't happened yet, but i do pass a church that has a big ol' signs proclaiming that, "THE WINDS OF REVIVAL ARE A BLOWING..," thus the title. at least this sign gives me hope each day.

i am currently living in a big huge house with 11 other people, which is lovely. everyone is jazzed about parties and concerts, so there will be lots of events there, which is exciting. however, i am unemployed and low on cash, and thus have headaches each and everyday because applying for entry level jobs in portland is a bitch. turns out i am not the only recent college graduate in their twenties that has discovered this is the most fabulous place on earth. in fact, the secret is out of the box, and it's evolved into a cyclone of twentysomes, scattering bodies left and right, bursting at the seams! it's a horrible thing. it won't be when i have a job and remember that all those people have other interests like art! bikes! yoga! interesting conversations! performance, absurdity and the likes! and they all want to be my friend and play with me!!! haaaa haaa haaaaa (imagine me looking very maniacal at this point with my head leaned back and my mouth open laughing without notice of the other calm, hip silent folks typing in this lovely coffee shop longing for this crazy person to leave soon so they can get back to their email and cool portland scene-ster activities). yes, i am a bit delirious at this point.

i haven't written a resume in years, and the only job i am really qualified for is a kinko's employee (so much time spent filing, computing, helping people with computer issues, etc. why wasn't i working in a coffee shop all my life! what was i thinking.). it's all about experience in this town, so i may remain unemployed forever. college, you ruined me. damn walla walla!!!!! give me back my four years so i can spend them traveling up the waitress/barista/cafe worker ladder and get a job in an adorable portland coffee shop. i guess i will have to rely on my good looks and sense of humor...shit.

yeah. i am also allergic to my house, which is a nice touch. being sick and applying for jobs is even worse than just applying for jobs...HOWEVER, this post won't only include bitching! it's time for a "why portland is the most kick-ass city" story:

i was tired of walking and sniffling up a storm when i entered safeway to buy nothing but the cheapest fucking tissue box on the selves on sunday. i was contemplating feeling like shit, missing lebn, missing bellingham, and wishing i didn't have 10 more blocks to walk home when the adorable male cashier caught my eye with his exuberantly sunny attitude (yeah, you heard me). i wished i were in a mood to talk, but wasn't. while ringing me up i forgot my damn safeway card phone number and forgot to type it, so he offered his (delightful). then i chose the cash back option and typed 10 cents, rather than 10 dollars. at this point i was cursing under my breath and about to leave in a big angry storm cloud with my fucking shiny 10 cent coin, when he offered to start a new transaction and type in zero dollars just so i could get my ten bucks while the line at his register continued to grow! isn't that swell. i was a total undesirable angry bitch and he still went the extra mile for me. YEAH! cashier guy you rock. portland, thanks for being here so i could meet cashier guy!

cool. that is probably all the irritated kelly that you guys can handle for one day. so, i am back to cover letter writing. yuck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home